Help Using Auto Level System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Using Auto Level System

Today we pulled into a site with quite a downward slope from the back of the trailer to the front (2.0) and a side downward slope from the curbside to the streetside.

I tried several times to get the trailer leveled with the auto level system. Here is what I did and what happened.

1. I placed two Lego blocks under the streetside tires. This basically leveled the trailer side to side. I placed 4x4's, basically as high as possible under the front Jacks. I placed a couple 4x4's under the rear jacks. When we auto-leveled, the curbside tires were about an 1" off the ground. We did get the success message. I did not want to leave the tires off the ground. So on to step 2.

2. We removed the 4x4's under the front Jacks and placed a single Lego style block under the front Jacks. Pulled the pin and let them drop down a few notches. When we auto-leveled we got out of stroke on one of the front jacks.

3. Eventually I was able to use the manual mode to get the trailed level as it coincided with an out of stroke error. Because of the error, the rear stabilizers (jacks near the tires) did not go down and I don't know how to drop them using the automatic control unit.

So as of know our trailer is level with 4 jacks down, four tires on the ground, even with the out of stroke message. The rear stabilizers are not down. I think I can drop them manually in the morning.

My questions,

1. Would you leave the trailer in this state assuming I can get the rear stabilizers down? Basically not worrying about the out of stroke message that still shows even though the trailer is level.

2. When the front of the trailer needs to be raised how do you compensate for this? I seem to be limited with the front jacks because they are dropped when still hitched to the truck. The only way I could think to get the front of the trailer higher would be to run the truck tires up on blocks. But then I would need to do that again when hitching to leave.

3. Is it possible that with the auto level system there are some slopes that can't be compensated for? I realize an extreme slope would not be possible, but we were only off 2.0 back to front.

For those of you that read all this a big thanks.
    2016 Arctic Fox 32-5M, 300 watt Zamp Solar Kit, 2 T105 Trojan 6 volts, 5.5 Onan LP Generator, 6pt leveling system, 2nd 13.5k A/C, Slide Toppers, Fireplace, King Bed, Central Vac.

2016 Ford F-450 Lariat. B&W Companion Hitch. Remax Bed Roll Cover, Bed Carpet.

Florida based

Dave,
    I don't know much about the 6 point system but if it is like my 4 point sometimes it is just easier to compensate for a steep front to rear slope by manually leveling the trailer (using the manual mode on controller). The auto level system wants to get each jack grounded then complete the leveling process which is why you got the curbside tires off the ground. I have been on a few really steep slopes and with proper blocking up front I get the front to rear as close as possible to level then just manually ground the rears and work the side to side out.
    As far as staying in it without the rear stabilizers grounded - how long are you going to be there? A day or two is probably one thing, a month or two is another.
    Randy & Connie
    Northern CA
    2016 6.7L Ford F-350 SRW, EEZ TPMS
    2016 27-5L, 5.5kW Gen, 600W Solar, 500Ah AGM, 3kW Inverter, Progressive EMS

Comment

Originally posted by Randy&Connie View Post
      Dave,
      I don't know much about the 6 point system but if it is like my 4 point sometimes it is just easier to compensate for a steep front to rear slope by manually leveling the trailer (using the manual mode on controller). The auto level system wants to get each jack grounded then complete the leveling process which is why you got the curbside tires off the ground. I have been on a few really steep slopes and with proper blocking up front I get the front to rear as close as possible to level then just manually ground the rears and work the side to side out.
      As far as staying in it without the rear stabilizers grounded - how long are you going to be there? A day or two is probably one thing, a month or two is another.
      Thanks for the response. We will be here a week or two. Question, how do you "ground" the jacks manually? What does it mean to "ground the jacks"?
      2016 Arctic Fox 32-5M, 300 watt Zamp Solar Kit, 2 T105 Trojan 6 volts, 5.5 Onan LP Generator, 6pt leveling system, 2nd 13.5k A/C, Slide Toppers, Fireplace, King Bed, Central Vac.

Florida based

Comment

I think "ground" the jacks refers to getting them down to where it just starts to put weight on them.

I have some guesses on how to deal with what you got but it is just that.

For how you can be off level have a look at
        http://www.nroa2003.com/forum/forum/...a-varied-slope

BTW one of the screens on the controller tells you your angle front to back and side to side.
        For me to use the auto level I had to get it really level side to side or it would lift the tires by about 1 inch.
        2004 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel crew cab short box
        2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,built in surge suppressor, 4 step instead of three,Holding Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System

Comment

Does the "out of stroke" message apply to both jacks together or can it apply to only one? If it can apply to one, maybe add a second lego block under that jack to eliminate the message? Then you could lower the rear stabilizers.

2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
          2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammster View Post
            Does the "out of stroke" message apply to both jacks together or can it apply to only one? If it can apply to one, maybe add a second lego block under that jack to eliminate the message? Then you could lower the rear stabilizers.
            Looks to me that out of stroke in my situation applies to the curbside front. What I don't understand is how placing additional block(s) under the front would help since the inner leg is only dropped down a few notches. It seems to me the truck/hitch controls the amount of space to block under the front of the trailer and I would need to raise the back of the truck while still hitched to gain additional stroke.

Florida based

Comment

Ours will not autolevel when the trailer is more then 1degree out of level before you start. And I believe the out of stroke message is not that a jack is truly out of stroke but the system does not want to compensate any more.
              Front to back all you have to compensate with is the telescopic landing gear. If the meter says front needs to come I put them almost on the ground before grounding the jacks. That gives the jacks the most stroke to get level.
              I used to hate these jacks but after learning about the 1 degree thing I almost like them. And the first line of the instructions say Park on a flat level surface.
              Doak and Janis
              2015 Ram 3500 DRW, Cummins, Asin
              2015 AF 32-5m
              Yondering the USA Fulltime

Comment

If I'm visualizing this correctly, and you had enough blocks or a couple of jack stands, could
                you block up the front of the the the rig by the frame so you could retract the front jacks and
                could then pull the pins to extend the legs further and then try releveling? Might help with the
                out of stroke message. ??
                2017 AF 35-5Z
                2017 F450 Lariat
                '05 F-250 6.0L 2x4, SC, SRW, LB - Still has it's uses.

Comment

It is always best to hook up the trailer and truck before putting more blocks under the front jacks. Sometimes you just need to hit the reset button and do it all over again from the start. That might even include moving the trailer slightly forward, back, or side to side to make leveling a bit easier.

Sounds like you need to go back to the taller blocking up front to get the needed travel out of the front landing gear when you use the controller. Try extending the front inner jack tubes until they just touch (or close to) the blocking you put under them - then pin.

Once you get the truck and trailer unhooked and separated again, use the front button to raise the trailer until you are close to level.
                  Then manually drop other jacks - secure with pins and try auto level again.

In general if our trailer is "close to level" with four jacks grounded and the tires touching the ground I go get a beer and forget about it.
                  Randy & Connie
                  Northern CA
                  2016 6.7L Ford F-350 SRW, EEZ TPMS
                  2016 27-5L, 5.5kW Gen, 600W Solar, 500Ah AGM, 3kW Inverter, Progressive EMS

Comment

Working...
                  X