Arizona Desert Boon-Docking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona Desert Boon-Docking

We’ve been boon-docking in the Arizona desert for the past two weeks. Everything on the 25Y has worked well, except for the LPG regulator. It totally stopped working and I bought a replacement from the Tucson Camping World and installed it myself.

The single 100-watt Zamp solar panel has worked flawlessly, keeping both 6-volt batteries charged even with the DW running the inverter to dry and curl her hair. The generator has not been used at all.

The fresh-water tank lasts us 8-9 days, the black and gray tanks 11-12 days. We’re very frugal with our water usage.

We’re happy campers!
    Jim and Esther

2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500 HD, Duramax/Allison, extended cab, 8-foot bed, 3.73 posi-traction, AirLift air springs, fog lamps, alloy rims, Kenwood stereo

2016 Arctic Fox 25Y, slide out topper, 15k air conditioner, powered scissor jacks, thermal pane windows, swivel rocker/recliners, 100w solar panel, 6v batteries, Blue Ox SwayPro 1500, EEZTire T15/SP TPMS, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30, Krieger 2000 watt inverter

Click image for larger version

Name:	A22ACA20-C578-439B-AF34-53DE5306C8C9.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	830.5 KB
ID:	268965Click image for larger version

Name:	07864C84-36F4-49F7-A679-34B8CE46C186.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	268966
    Jim and Esther

2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500 HD, Duramax/Allison, extended cab, 8-foot bed, 3.73 posi-traction, AirLift air springs, fog lamps, alloy rims, Kenwood stereo

2016 Arctic Fox 25Y, slide out topper, 15k air conditioner, powered scissor jacks, thermal pane windows, swivel rocker/recliners, 100w solar panel, 6v batteries, Blue Ox SwayPro 1500, EEZTire T15/SP TPMS, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30, Krieger 2000 watt inverter

Comment

Great sunset pick and a nice looking set up with your white 05. The only thing your 05 needs is our blue one sitting close by.
      Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

That looks fantastic!

George and Carrie
        2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 Powerstroke, BTS trans, DPTuner, Tru-kool 40k BTU cooler, TurboSmart waste-gate actuator,V and mod'd B code leaf springs, Prodigy P2 Controller, Blue Ox 1500lb hitch, 202k
        2007 AF 26Z-2, Plug-It-Right 507 TPMS, 225-75-16 E BFG Commercials, Yamaha EF2000is
        1998 21' SeaRay 210 Signature Series

Comment

Thank you for sharing the number of days you get out of water and sewage storage. You folks are frugal.
          2012 Dodge Laramie, 2500 CTD, crew cab
          2015 Arctic Fox 25Y, TM-2030 battery monitor,SC-2030 solar charger, 300w solar system,Tripp-Lite 2000W power inverter,TPMS-510RV, Michelin 225 75R 16 LT tires.

Comment

Jim, good info. We just got back from 16 days in so. CA and AZ. We were plugged into power 3 nights in a row with some friends at the Fountain of Youth and after that 1 night with friends in Mesa. So 3 nights no shore power traveling, 4 nights in a row with shore power and then 9 nights in a row with no shore power. Everything worked great with no faults. We also used the inverter in the mornings for coffee, hair dryer and curling iron. Our TV is 12V so only had the inverter on in the mornings. I am so pleased with our AF it has proven to be well worth the dollars.
            Pete & Pam
            2015 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax, Long Bed CC.
            2017 AF 27-5L, 10 CF Frig., 4 Point Leveling, 2 Fantastic Fans, 15K AC, Tank Heat Pads, 2 100 watt solar panels with 2000 watt inverter, 4 6VB-440 amp, B & W Companion Slider.

Comment

Wow you guys need to teach me and my wife how to pull that off. We only make it 4 to 5 days on water. I think my wife's hair is our killer, but I won't let her cut it off!
              James, Kim & the Goldendoodles (Lucy & Regan)
              2012 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 6.7 ARE Topper and Decked Drawer System
              2013 Arctic Fox 25Y (1250# tongue weight with mods)
              Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT245/75-16 w/TST 507 internal sensors
              Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500 w/Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank

Mods 4-6v battery bank and 500w solar

Comment

Originally posted by HEAP64 View Post
                Wow you guys need to teach me and my wife how to pull that off. We only make it 4 to 5 days on water. I think my wife's hair is our killer, but I won't let her cut it off!
                I don't know what your tank capacities are but the 27-5L has 85 of fresh water and double that when you add the 2 gray and 1 black tanks together. So if you are conservative (we use bottled water for drinking) it last a while.
                Pete & Pam
                2015 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax, Long Bed CC.
                2017 AF 27-5L, 10 CF Frig., 4 Point Leveling, 2 Fantastic Fans, 15K AC, Tank Heat Pads, 2 100 watt solar panels with 2000 watt inverter, 4 6VB-440 amp, B & W Companion Slider.

Comment

We have a '13 25Y which should have the same tanks as Jim and Esther. They are doing way better than us
                  James, Kim & the Goldendoodles (Lucy & Regan)
                  2012 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 6.7 ARE Topper and Decked Drawer System
                  2013 Arctic Fox 25Y (1250# tongue weight with mods)
                  Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT245/75-16 w/TST 507 internal sensors
                  Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500 w/Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank

Mods 4-6v battery bank and 500w solar

Comment

Calaveras-Where are you camping in Arizona? We stay at the Ft. Huachuca RV park, Sierra Vista, and my wife has no interest in boondocking. Can you share some of the secrects to water usage and waste tank stretching? Are you on BLM land that has a regular water and honeywagon visit? Very curious..........
                    2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Diesel, Automatic Four Wheel Drive Quad Cab
                    2016 AF 25Y

Comment

I learned many boon-docking tips from my father, he passed two years ago, who loved the Arizona desert. We’re currently camped about 15 miles NE of Quartzsite on BLM land. We have a 2-person 4-wheeler that we use to explore the desert around us.

The two biggest users of water are showers and dishes. Out here we actually shower once a week and make it very short using the “sailor” method. We take “sink baths,” a little soap in the bathroom sink half filled with water and a wash cloth, the other days. Saves lots of water and you stay clean. We use paper plates and bowls, which we burn in the fire pit, and cook on the gas grill as much as possible. We wash utensils once a day and use only a very small amount, 2-3 inches, of water in each of the kitchen sink bowls. You get very good at conserving with practice.

I have a macerator pump for the sewer tanks, which I use to pump the black tank into a 35-gallon “blue-boy” tank in the pickup bed. This allows me to dump without moving the trailer. I also have a 45-gallon water bladder, which I fill after the blue-boy is emptied at a dump station. The full bladder rides nicely in the pickup bed and folds to a small size when not in use. I have a RV water pump, with a switch, mounted to a 2x6 board that I connect to the truck batteries and pump water from the bladder to the fresh water tank.

That’s our system.
                      Jim and Esther

Comment

Wow, we routinely get 7+ days from our fresh water supply. We also use only bottled water to drink and consume about one gallon a day. We use old school techniques from when we only had 20 gal of fresh water. Converted to an Oxygenitics shower head and use the wet-off-wet technique when we shower. We shower back to back so we don't have to get hot water back up there. No not at the same time, the shower is too small. I doubt that we use 5 gal between the two of us. For the toilet, we lay 2 squares in the empty bowl to avoid the sticky spots and then use just enough flush water to evacuate. We use a small bowl to wash dishes and rinse in another small bowl. We do use paper plates when they are appropriate. We don't really skimp cause we shower every night and use water as needed. Mostly we just don't let the water run if we're not doing something with it.

We also have a single 100w solar with 2-6volts. Our TV is 110v as is the satellite so we do use the inverter. My wife uses a butane hair curler and we don't blow dry when we are dry camping. We only use the generators when we need A/C or if it's cloudy for two days in a row-a rare event in Arizona. We winter on our lot in the Yuma foothills so we are plugged in here, but we spend 2-4 weeks dry camping between here and Montana and dry camp in Mt most of the summer.
                        Ken and Rita Madsen
                        2003 GMC Duramax, 2016 27-5L AF

Comment

Thanks very much for the information. Does the 4-wheeler ride in your pickup? or do you tow a trailer?
                          2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Diesel, Automatic Four Wheel Drive Quad Cab
                          2016 AF 25Y

Comment

Originally posted by Calaveras View Post
                            That’s our system.
                            We use a similar system in our 25Y, though my wife washes her hair often enough that we rarely go more than a week on the fresh & gray tanks. We can go 2+ weeks on the black tank. Our blue honey-wagon is only 32 gals, so it takes a couple of trips to dump our tanks if they're full.

I carry a Harbor Freight 6' loading ramp in the truck, so I've been wrestling the honey-wagon up the ramp. Luckily, the seals work very well! The wagon is close to 300 lbs when full, so eventually I'll move to a macerator pump (or a 12V winch to pull the wagon into the truck).
                            2017 Arctic Fox 25Y, Firestone Transforce HT LT225/75-16, Blue Ox SwayPro 1500, EMS-HW30C surge protector
                            2013 Silverado 2500HD, LML Duramax, manual 4x4, crew cab, std box

Comment

Originally posted by craigandsue View Post
                              Thanks very much for the information. Does the 4-wheeler ride in your pickup? or do you tow a trailer?
                              Yes, it rides in the pickup.
                              Jim and Esther

Comment

Working...
                              X