Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heading to Nova Scotia from North Carolina; suggestions on intenerary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading to Nova Scotia from North Carolina; suggestions on intenerary?

Hello,
    We are headed to Nova Scotia this summer from North Carolina. We have a 2 week stop in Lubec ME first so I can go to adult piano camp at a great place called Summerkeys. (yes I travel with a keyboard on our journeys). We know we are going to spend a couple of weeks in Cape Breton but do any of you have any must see suggestions? We prefer the Canadian National Parks if we can get in them or the Canadian Provincial Parks when possible but certainly have utilized our share of private campgrounds also.
    We are also interested in some northern Maine stops as we will have had a pretty good maritime "fix" by the time we finish in Lubec and Cape Breton.
    Thank you in advance and wishing everyone a great 2018 traveling in their Northwood units!
    April
    2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS, thermal pane windows, 10.5 CF refrig, slide topper, 16 inch wheels, Michelin XPS ribs. Fantastic fan vent cover. 2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 2500 CTD. B & W Companion slider hitch. 2 happy campers and Etta, the dog.

Don't know about the parks & sights, but do NOT run I-95 thru New York City!!! Low bridges!
    BPofMD - Bud & Penny / Actively Retired Navy Vet
    2005 F250 6.0 - TorqLift Upper Overloads
    2007 Silver Fox 29-E 5th Wheel / Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    2012 VW Passat TDI (GONE !)

Comment

Thanks for heads up! We have always avoided NYC but now have even more reason to do so! We have been saved a couple of times by the Allstays Pro app that tells you where low overpass/bridges are.
      2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS, thermal pane windows, 10.5 CF refrig, slide topper, 16 inch wheels, Michelin XPS ribs. Fantastic fan vent cover. 2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 2500 CTD. B & W Companion slider hitch. 2 happy campers and Etta, the dog.

Comment

We just went through NS (and PEI which is well-worth the side trip!) last last summer/fall. It is hard to imagine more wonderful seascapes, red earth and rock, and more laid-back, welcoming, hospitable people. The Canadian Maritime provinces are a treat.

We stayed, almost exclusively, at Provincial and Federal parks, with a few private places where others were not available. (Boondocking, unless you are in a smallish vehicle, is possible but not that easy.) We tend to try to camp "away" from others when possible. Most locations are relatively inexpensive. Lots of tenting sites everywhere. Roads can be narrow in places.

A few suggestions with some comments:

Caribou Munroes Prov Park (near Pictou): lovely, treed sites, lots of non-serviced areas available. Quiet, good dog-walking beach. Go to Tatamagouche and check out their local craft brewery.

Mira River Provincial Park: near Louisbourg (do NOT miss this!); convenient, quiet, good treed sites with fair privacy.

Shubie Campground (Halifax-Dartmouth): this is actually a private campground, but is relatively spacious for being right in Halifax. It was surprisingly quiet and well-watched at night (ignore online comments about people "wandering through" - it doesn't happen). Would happily stay there again. Massive walking park nearby - off-leash area for the dog, lakes and such.

Fundy National Park (Alma/Headquarters Campground): there are numerous locations in this park, some more accessible than others, depending on your rig and preference. We stayed at Headquarters. A bit tricky to get around, and not many good sites for solar. But quiet and peaceable. We chose a site backing onto the hill with a view of the Bay. We could happily sit there and watch the tide roll in while enjoying a frosty beverage or two. Visited friends who stayed at one of the less accessible spots about 15 km away in the same park - also lovely, but less "woodsy" and more "parking-lot-like". Not our, or their, cup of tea.

Five Islands Prov Park: did not stay here as we didn't have the trailer with us when there, but drove through. Fantastic views of the Bay - LOTS of marvellous-looking campsites on hills all over the place.

Cape Breton: you could probably drive your rig up to Cheticamp campground. (Or Ingonish). Both quite nice but not a lot of "services" around if you like that kind of stuff. Would not drive the Cabot Trail with a rig - too much to see and would waste too much time dealing with parking. Better with truck alone. Do go to the Skyline Trail, and try to catch a Ceili or two in the Acadian areas. You could spend a month on Cape Breton alone.

PEI: just a short note on this lovely island - you can drive the bridge (12 km/7 mi) easily. There is also a ferry. Cabot Beach Prov Park and Red Point Prov Park were both fantastic, offerred lovely non-serviced sites (and serviced of course) and were quiet, out of the way, and pleasant. Best walking beaches anywhere! Can be REALLY windy! Not a straight road on the island (well, almost....).

If you're interested in more detail PM me and can add lots.
        2015 AF 25W
        Ford F250, 6.2l gas
        Blue Ox SwayPro (1,500 lb)
        along with Wendy and Dobby, the Labradoodle house elf.

Comment

"The Canadian Maritime provinces are a treat." Unless you are under 30 and looking for work. We are a retirement province.

Be very careful booking in Maine.

Book early in NS. Avoid Brule... esp the golf course.

Wind in PEI has picked up in the last couple of years.

Five islands in nice but Pugwash is better..
          2001 Freightliner FL60 Sport Chassis, 3126b, Pac-Brake, Air Cab, Brakes & Suspension, Ultra Shift, McCall 5th Hitch with Binkley Head
          2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T (Silver Fox Edition)
          DW- Carol
          DD - '93
          DS- '95
          Faffy & Lulu, our Beagle co-pilots

"Ka ka ka ka haina mbaraka"

Comment

True enough on the work front Ian - except apparently for bars in Halifax (or maybe bars everywhere in NS?). We didn't get to Pugwash - next trip!!

One of the minor advantages of being there later in the summer (we started our "Canada 150" trip on Aug 8 and made it to PEI on Aug 28 and NS after that) was that there was zero need to register anywhere - lots of space and no little brats running around!! Worked pretty well for us, and I'd do that again. Of course we live somewhere that summer is absolutely fantastic, so it's very hard to leave at that time.

2015 AF 25W
            Ford F250, 6.2l gas

Comment

Originally posted by rural_canuck View Post
              lots of space and no little brats running around!!
              I much prefer out of season camping for the lack of little brats, big brats and reservations. Our Canadian Maritime trip is back on the radar as I've finally pried the unwanted house "guest" out. I'll keep your dates in mind for our trip.

Whatever became of your leaky window? (I seem to recall you had one).
              2014 Arctic Fox 25R
              2006 Ram 3500 SRW auto

Comment

LOL - I forgot about the big brats! Actually, throughout our entire Maritimes trip there was very little to complain about that way, even though a lot of the campgrounds were only (as far as I could tell anyway) minimally supervised and only sparsely used in some cases.

To be fair, a lot of the campgrounds apparently stayed open late last year because of the Canada 150 and longer camping dates kept by the (free) National Parks -- apparently the provinces decided they needed to stay open as well because of the larger number of travellers. Was good for us!! Not sure how that will play in a normal year, but I think they close up a bit early - best to check.

ps: you can find the end of the window story here: http://www.nroa2003.com/forum/forum/...monsoon-inside

2015 AF 25W
                Ford F250, 6.2l gas

Comment

Cannuck,

You didn't hit any of our distilleries / wineries etc ??

You are correct. When school is out, the campgrounds are busy. I think Oct 1st is when campgrounds start thinking about closing and we have stopped by then.. we used to run to almost Nov but that gets a bit short.

We actually like the PPs after labour day.

Don't mind kids...in fact enjoy them...it is the drunk parents that aren't our fav... I don't think there is a 55+ only Rv site in Atlantic Canada. We, as well, are having trouble with the empty nest syndrome but it is part of life.

I notice "seasonals" are part of an infection that is ruining it for the ones that actually like to travel. One of our fav Rv sites has 143 slots..142 are seasonal now.. looks like a low end trailer park..Tried to book in a section of Ontario this month for August and basically, nothing is available..

2001 Freightliner FL60 Sport Chassis, 3126b, Pac-Brake, Air Cab, Brakes & Suspension, Ultra Shift, McCall 5th Hitch with Binkley Head
                  DW- Carol
                  DD - '93
                  DS- '95

Comment

Ian, ON PP have a 5 mon. res. window. Today you can only book into June. The trick is to book the first night of your stay right at the start of the 5 mon. window as you can then book up to 3 wk. past the window. For example, if you reserve on March 15, you can book Aug. 15 as your first night plus 3 wk past Aug. 15 even though the window for those dates won't open until later. Res. windows are very frustrating as someone else can book earlier when their window opens and book your site past the date you wanted to start. Best to have some options. I much prefer ParksCanada NP res. window which opens the whole season on the first day.
                    Henry
                    2014 Arctic Fox 22G
                    2015 Silverado 1500 NHT, Blue Ox Sway Pro(2014); Equal-i-zer(2006-14)

Comment

Henry,

I apologize.. I am frustrated. So much happening this year.

We have become used to the Saint Lawrence parks which you book feb 24th I think..

I was looking for a place to stay around Strathford (pull through..at least water/30 amp) but haven't had much luck even with the help of several Ontario campers. All recommended as I mentioned, full or no hookups w/o a honey truck. I can understand folks wanting to get out of the cities specially when you live in a concrete jungle.

I have the good sams book so I was going to go through that soon...

Know of a good spot that will fit our trailer ? Ours is 31.5 foot long....

Thanks
                      DW- Carol
                      DD - '93
                      DS- '95

Comment

Working...
                      X