Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

27-5L Maiden Voyage a Success. MN -> IA -> NE -> CO -> Black Hills -> MT -> SD -> MN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27-5L Maiden Voyage a Success. MN -> IA -> NE -> CO -> Black Hills -> MT -> SD -> MN

Just back from our first trip ever with our 27-5L and it was a blast. We even have a pretty good chance of knowing what lights will come on when we flip a switch. We honestly had zero trouble with anything except for a couple of stripped screws that hold the drawer female locking roller bracket in place. That's about it. I have a post-trip service appointment on the 16th that I made way back, but I don't have much of a punch list to give them. Everything just worked.

The solar also worked great. It was impossible to drag the batteries below 100% because the solar was usually kicking enough watts to keep them topped off. The only way I could drag them down was to really load up the inverter. I got them to 97% but the solar charger topped them off very quickly. I never even had a battery charger plugged in or operating the entire trip. It was all just solar.

The Progressive EMS was perfect. It even told me I have one plug in my garage with an open ground. Who knew? I also liked that I could monitor how many amps I was using on shore power.

The rear camera and TPMS system worked perfectly. I attached a 12v aux plug (car lighter male) to the tpms repeater and would just plug it in next to the bed and put the repeater in the upper little closed above the night stand. Worked perfectly. Even the one I put on the TV spare, and the trailer spare worked great. I had no problems with the rear camera at all. Niemeyer had paired it up and I just plugged it in and it worked great. The hitch on the back was super strong and my bikes rode back there perfectly. I could see them with the camera.

I left the refrigerator on auto and it switched back and forth between AC and LP perfectly. We ran the furnace a couple of mornings, used the stove, and ran the refer on LP while on the move... but the left LP tank is still green and hasn't switched after over three weeks on the road. How long do those things last anyway?

I don't have the auto level system but we got pretty good at leveling it with blocks. The worst site we had was in Custer State Park on a sloping hill but we got it level ok.

Here's our blog if you want more pictures. www.northstarrovers.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2817.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	257744

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2676.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	823.0 KB
ID:	257745

Steve and Shelley. Minnesota
    2017 RAM 3500 LLH CC 4x4 LB DRW 6.7ctd Aisin 4.10 Air Level aka Shrek
    2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor
    , 440AH Lifeline AGM, aka Fiona

Nice report on a great trip! Your set up looks good together. I like the changes NW did on the swoosh with interpreting the Fox into it. Before I enlarged it I thought it had a cracking problem you were kind not to mention but then saw it was the change.
    Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

Nice report - great blog. Love the shot at your campsite. But it looks like they forgot to give you a tree! Just kidding looks like a great spot.

Is the solar panel OEM?

Bill
      Bill, Mary, and Scottie
      2015 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, SRW, B&W Companion OEM Hitch
      2017 AF 27-5L
      2009 Polaris RZR (the 2nd most fun thing you can do without actually laughing)

Comment

Congrats on the successful first trip Steve, Great report and blog. Your site at Custer in Stockade North Campground looks like it could have been the one we stayed in back in May, site 32E. We really enjoyed our stay in Custer SP.
        2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn: 4X4, Crew Cab, LB, DRW, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, 3.73, Auto Level Rear Air Suspension, Reese 20k Elite Hitch, Amp Bedstep 2, Aero 70 Gal Underbed Fuel Tank
        2016 AF 27-5L: 10 Cu Ft Fridge, Thomas Payne Sofa w/air Mattress,15K AC, 2" Receiver, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C Surge Protector

Comment

Nice post! Our Maiden Voyage has not been as deficiency free as yours but nothing huge. My TPMS does disconnect fairly often but I like having it. Thinking I need to consider a rear camera. Now that I have been traveling for awhile, I can see the benefits... Glad you had a good trip!

Mike
          Mike & Christine

2017 Arctic Fox 32-5M (Maiden Voyage 03 July 2017)

2017 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW Cummins/AISIN 4.10 Auto Level Suspension

Comment

Originally posted by RCKIN View Post
            Congrats on the successful first trip Steve, Great report and blog. Your site at Custer in Stockade North Campground looks like it could have been the one we stayed in back in May, site 32E. We really enjoyed our stay in Custer SP.
            Yes... That's the one! 32E. We had a lot of fun there. That was my first attempt at backing into a site. Rode our bikes around the lake and into town. Also went up to Sylvan Lake and hiked around it. We were going to do Harney Peak ( I mean Black Elk) but the bike ride into Custer wore us out.
            2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor

Comment

Originally posted by BZawlocki View Post
              Nice report - great blog. Love the shot at your campsite. But it looks like they forgot to give you a tree! Just kidding looks like a great spot.

Is the solar panel OEM?

Bill
              Hi Bill. The solar was a system from AM Solar. 4 x 160 panels

Comment

Thanks for an excellent report, Steve. How about a similar report on the new tow vehicle.

When I consider your new AF trailer defect report compared to many others I've read here the difference that I notice is Neimeyer. That dealer must be doing a great job of final quality control inspection and defect correction. If I were planning another purchase I would talk to Neimeyer.

RE you LPG consumption question: An lp bottle will last quite awhile until winter temps demand running the heating furnace.
                Harvey Barlow
                USN Retired
                Crosby County, TX
                2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab & Chassis, Cummins ISB6.7 Aisin CM Flatbed BrakeSmart Transfer Flow 190,000 miles
                2011 Arctic Fox 26X, Yamaha 2400

Comment

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post
                  Thanks for an excellent report, Steve. How about a similar report on the new tow vehicle.

When I consider your new AF trailer defect report compared to many others I've read here the difference that I notice is Neimeyer. That dealer must be doing a great job of final quality control inspection and defect correction. If I were planning another purchase I would talk to Neimeyer.

RE you LPG consumption question: An lp bottle will last quite awhile until winter temps demand running the heating furnace.
                  Thanks Harvey. I did one on the truck here

Comment

Originally posted by mnSteve View Post

Yes... That's the one! 32E. We had a lot of fun there. That was my first attempt at backing into a site. Rode our bikes around the lake and into town. Also went up to Sylvan Lake and hiked around it. We were going to do Harney Peak ( I mean Black Elk) but the bike ride into Custer wore us out.
                    It's a small world, we really liked the campground and definitely had a lot of fun there too. We did the Sylvan Lake hike and several others including Harney Peak. It's a amazing view from the top, but a long hike. We had combined it with going to Little Devils Tower and the Spires so it was long day.
                    2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn: 4X4, Crew Cab, LB, DRW, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, 3.73, Auto Level Rear Air Suspension, Reese 20k Elite Hitch, Amp Bedstep 2, Aero 70 Gal Underbed Fuel Tank
                    2016 AF 27-5L: 10 Cu Ft Fridge, Thomas Payne Sofa w/air Mattress,15K AC, 2" Receiver, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C Surge Protector

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Wanderers View Post
                      Nice post! Our Maiden Voyage has not been as deficiency free as yours but nothing huge. My TPMS does disconnect fairly often but I like having it. Thinking I need to consider a rear camera. Now that I have been traveling for awhile, I can see the benefits... Glad you had a good trip!

Mike
                      Mike ... do you have the signal booster on your TPMS? Mine would lose connection here and there until I put a plug on the signal booster and started plugging it in in the bedroom before we headed out. I also had the tpms display sitting down low on the console. I moved it up later to the dash where it worked much better. I bought a 12volt three female outlet splitter and had it sitting on the dash. I plugged the rear-view camera monitor and the tpms display into it up on the dash. My rear camera reception was spotty as well until I moved the display up to the dash.

Comment

I do have a booster but installed in forward generator compartment. It is alligator clipped to main batteries. I may wire it into the bedroom to see if I get better reception. It only disconnects for brief periods, but I would rather not hear the beep. Other than that, am happy with the Tireminder but is the only TPMS I have used.

Regards, Mike
                        Mike & Christine

2017 Arctic Fox 32-5M (Maiden Voyage 03 July 2017)

2017 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW Cummins/AISIN 4.10 Auto Level Suspension

Comment

What an awesome experience for you two!! I love that you had no issues and had a great time. I also love the name of your truck and the Fox. We have been trying to come up with a name for our Fox, but so far no luck. Seems like I need to try harder. I think you are on to something by coming up with duo names for both the truck and the Fox.
                          2005 Dodge Diesel 3500: 5.9L Cummins Turbo-Diesel, 3.73 4WD 4SPD SRW, quad cab, long bed, auto, Banks cold air intake, Banks Power Monster-Ram intake manifold, Airdog II 4G, BD Diesel steering box support bar, PAK Brake AMP Air Suspension,WirelessAir by Air Lift, Edge Insight CTS Monitor w/ EGT probe, B&W Companion Hitch.

2017 Arctic Fox 27 5L: 4-Point Leveling System, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 30amp surge protector, Slide-Toppers, 2" Receiver, Plug it Right: TPMS TST 507.

Comment

Thanks. I was pleased to find out that we both really had a good time. My wife is talking about heading out again right away.

Comment

Steve! You and Shelly are so upbeat that it makes it's an absolute pleasure reading about your first big trip! :-) May the wind be always at your back.
                              Neil and Marilyn and Beemer (feline)
                              2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Chevy tires are 275/75R18 125/122 3540 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.
                              2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, Plug-It-Right 510 TPMS

Comment

Working...
                              X